Operation of a Private School of Gymnastics
In order to operate a Private School of Gymnastics in the Republic of Cyprus, one must file an application with the Cyprus Sport Organisation and obtain the relevant licence.
Who is Eligible
A licence to establish and operate a private school of Gymnastics in Cyprus can be granted to natural or legal persons resident in Cyprus or citizens of another member state that fulfill the following requirements:
- Suitable Premises for ensuring the school’s operating capacity as a gymnastics school;
- Qualified staff, registered to the Cyprus Sport Organization Physical Educationists/Trainers Registry.
Where to Apply
The application for Operating Licence for Private Schools of Gymnastics, can be submitted either through the PSC Cyprus or you can contact directly the competent authority:
Cyprus Sport Organisation
Makario Athletic Centre Avenue
2400 Engomi, Nicosia
P.O. Box 24804
Tel.: +357 22 897112, +357 22897117
Fax: +357 22 358222, +357 22352204
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Website: http:// www.cyprussports.org
Which Certificates must be Submitted
The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- Copy of the building permit;
- A set of the Gymnasium’s architectural designs (facades, ground floors, sections) on a 1:100 scale duly signed by the project officer/architect;
- A Certificate of Suitability from the Fire Brigade on the inspection carried out;
- Certificate of Suitability of Electrical Installations (as this is periodically amended) issued by the Cyprus Electricity Authority and is in force or Periodic Inspection Attachment (as periodically amended) in force issued by the Department of Electromechanical Services;
- A copy of the Hygiene Certificate from the Health Services of the Ministry of Health or from the Health Services of the Municipal Authorities, which certifies that the hygiene facilities comply with the directives of private schools of gymnastics;
- A copy of the Conformity Certificate of the equipment (from the manufacturer concerning the health and safety of the users);
- Private School of Gymnastics Staff List (separate form);
- Registration fee of €20 (either by cash or cheque payable to Cyprus Sport Organisation);
- Application for listing on the Physical Educationists trainers registry of the Organisation;
- In case the gymnasium has a swimming pool a licence to operate a public swimming pool by Virtue of the 53(5) Rule of the Public Swimming Pools 1992-1996 law.
In case the school of gymnastics operates a legal entity the following documents are also required:
- Copy of the Memorandum and Articles of Association;
- Copy of Certificate of Directors and Secretary.
The letters/certificates provided after the inspection should be related to the year of application for the licence to operate a private school of gymnastics.
It is noted that before obtaining the Town Planning Permit, the applicants may ask the Competent Technical Department of the Cyprus Sport Organisation for its preliminary views by simply addressing to it a letter accompanied by a full set of architectural designs).
Fees Applicable & How to Pay
Registration fee of €20 (either by cash or cheque payable to Cyprus Sport Organisation).
Upon approval, the applicant needs to pay the following fees to the Cyprus Sport Organisation for the issuance of the operating Licence:
- €200 for the first discipline related service; and
- an additional fee of €150 for each and every other discipline related service provided.
The applicant is informed regarding the authorization decision within 3 months from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submitted.
Dispute with the Competent Authority's Decision
How to File an Administrative Action
Administrative Action against a Competent Authority’s Decision
Any person may file an Administrative Action at the Administrative Court against a decision, act, or omission of any competent authority or body.
Pursuant to Article 146 of the Constitution, an Administrative Action may be lodged within 75 days from the date of the decision or act or omission or from the day when such decision or act or omission was notified to the applicant.
The Administrative Court acts as a cassation Court and not as a substantive Court. In other words, the Administrative Court may:
I. Dismiss the Administrative Action
II. Annul wholly or partially the contested decision or act
III. Compel the relevant authority or body to take a certain action
After a decision is annulled, the authority and/or public body must reverse things back to the state prior to when the concerned decision and/or act was executed and reexamine.
How to Appeal
An Appeal may be filed against the Administrative Court’s first-instance decision within a period of 42 days from the date such a decision was given.
At the Supreme Court (Court of Appeal Section) hearing, the contested issue of the appeal remains the legality of the decision or act already adjudicated. However, such a revision of the legality of the decision or act is solely examined on the matters and the extent that the two parties have limited the reasons in the relevant notice of appeal.
The decision adopted by the Supreme Court is considered final in relation to the matter that has been judged.
Legislation & Obligations
Which Laws and Regulations Apply
‘Gymnastics Private Schools Regulations’
What are my Obligations
Every private school of gymnastics, depending on the discipline-related services, employs the necessary staff (heads, physical educationists/trainers, in order to provide the necessary and at a satisfactory level of training to its customers.
The number of trainees exercising a sport per trainer supervising them shall be determined in accordance with the Annex of the Amending Regulations on Gymnastics Private Schools of 2012.
The Private Schools staff who will provide their services and are employed in the said Schools should apply for listing on the Physical Educationists / Trainers Registry of the Organisation.
The interested parties should apply by fulfilling the Form for this use (application form for listing on the Physical Educationists / Trainers Registry, see Forms). The applications should be handed over at the CSO Offices. It is hereby clarified for the interested parties that each application should be fulfilled and all the required documents should be attached; otherwise, their application will be considered void.