In order to operate an Adult Day-Care Centre in the Republic of Cyprus, natural or legal persons need to register the Adult-Day Care Centre at the Social Welfare Services of the Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance.
The term "Adult Day Care Centre" refers to any premises within which care, protection, occupation, entertainment, dining and other services are provided to more than five individuals over the age of eighteen years old, at any time during the day.
Every natural or legal person is eligible to register a Adult Day-Care Centre, provided that the Social Welfare Services is satisfied that the following criteria are met:
- the person in charge of the Centre possess the appropriate qualifications as may be specified by the Director;
- sufficient and qualified staff is to be employed in order to ensure the best possible care;
- the suitability of the premises with the appropriate health conditions, location, fire safety, construction, layout, maintenance, general conditions, and equipment;
- the suitability of services and facilitations to be offered at the Centre.
Obligations and Supervision
Registered Adult Day-Care Centres are obliged to comply with the provisions of the Adult Day Care Centre Law, and relevant Regulations, as periodically amended, and specifically, among others, to ensure that the requirements regarding the following are met:
Inspections by District Social Welfare Officers are carried out regularly in order to verify that the Adult Day-Care Centres meet the provisions of the relevant Law and Regulations.
- staff Members’ Qualifications;
- premises and equipment;