In order to operate a private veterinary laboratory in the Republic of Cyprus the laboratory should be registered by the Registrar after the appropriate decision of the Cyprus Veterinary Council.
The Registrar is the Director of Veterinary Services of the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment.
The Cyprus Veterinary Council recommends a private veterinary laboratory to register, only in cases where:
the laboratory is managed by at least one Director who is registered in the Cyprus Veterinary Registry and has not committed an offence neither was guilty of a disgraceful or inappropriate professional behaviour so that the Cyprus Veterinary Council has not imposed measures against him/her;
· has suitable and sufficient premises and equipment, so that the health of employees is ensured as well as the safe maintenance of samples and the scientific completeness of conduct of tests are carried out in according to the conditions of corresponding code of practice.
Additionally, the private veterinary laboratory should follow all the requirements and specifications of its registration (premises, operational and equipment) and moreover follow the procedures and requirements of the Veterinary Deontology and Regulations as amended.
The application for registration for operating a private veterinary laboratory can be submitted either through the PSC Cyprus or you can contact directly the:
Registrar of Cyprus Veterinary Council
Tel: +357 22805200
Fax: +357 22332803
The application should be accompanied by the following documents:
· name and signature of the proposed Director or Directors of the private veterinary laboratory
· copy of identity card of the Director or Directors;
· copy of the certificate of the Director´s registration by the Registrar
· copy of ground plans in which the applicant must indicate the segregation of the spaces and the places that the equipment will be kept;
· copy of certificate issued by the Cyprus Veterinary Council that the proposed Director was never prohibited from exercising the veterinary profession;
· receipt of registration fee of €500 (either by cash, cheque, or bank transfer).
The laboratory is being inspected by inspectors approved by the Minister of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment in order to ensure that the laboratory allocates suitable and sufficient premises and equipment.
The applicant is informed regarding the registration decision as soon as possible and no later than 3 months from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submitted. The registration is valid infinitely and does not need to be renewed but the Registrar has the authority to suspend it.
Obligations and Supervision