In order to practice as a Clinical Dietitian or/and Dietitian in the Republic of Cyprus, one needs to register with the Cyprus Registration Board for Food Scientists, Food Technologists and Dietitians, operating under the auspices of the Ministry of Health, and obtain a Certificate of Registration.
The Application for entry of a member in the Register of Dietitians, in the case of dietitians or clinical dietitians, can be submitted either through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
Cyprus Registration Board for Food Scientists,
Food Technologists and Dietitians
Website: http://www.moh.gov.cy, http://www.cydadiet.org
The application should be accompanied by the following documents:
- copy of Birth Certificate or copy of Identity Card or copy of Passport;
- certified copy of a relevant Degree/Diploma/Certificate;
- certified copy of the transcript of the above mentioned Degree/Diploma/Certificate;
- certified copy of a membership registration to professional body recognized by the Association;
- certified documentation for practical experience as a clinical dietitian or/and dietitian (self-employed or employee);
- original Certificate of Clear Criminal Record;
- leaflets for Internal Information System (IMI)
- €50 registration fee.
The applicant is informed in writing regarding the authorisation decision within three months from the date from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submitted and a Registration Certificate is sent only with approval.
The Certificate of Registration is valid for one year from the date of issue. The renewal fee is €35 and is mandatory.
Obligations and Supervision
Registered Dietitians, Clinical Dietitians, Food Scientists and Food Technologists are obliged to comply with the provisions of the 'Registration of Food Scientists and Dietitians Law' (N. 31(Ι)/96), the relevant Bylaws as well as the Code of Ethics of the Cyprus Dietetic and Nutrition Association, as periodically amended.
Indicatively, professional members should comply with the following:
- offer satisfactory and detailed information in a simple and understandable manner to enable the client/patient form his/her own decision;
- present the client with substantiated information and interpret controversial information without any bias recognizing that opinions vary;
- protect confidential information regarding their clients and guarantee, as far as possible, full confidentiality without any limitation;
- offer professional services with objectivity and with respect to the unique needs and values of their client;
- offer professional services in a manner sensitive to the educational and social level of the client without discriminating against others on the basis of sex, nationality, religion, economic and social classes or a person’s disability;
- not allow sexual harassment towards themselves and strictly refrain from such behavior in relation to their clients/patients;
- although the fee charged to clients can be set freely, dietitians should not claim an exorbitant fee to a degree of profiteering.
The Cyprus Registration Board for Food Scientists, Food Technologists and Dietitians is the delegated body to exercise disciplinary control and impose disciplinary penalties, such as the deletion of a registered dietitian from the registry.
Cyprus Dietetic & Nutrition Association
CY-. 2083 Nicosia, Cyprus,
Tel: +357 22452258
Fax: +357 22452292