In order to operate a food supplements shop in the Republic of Cyprus, one needs to obtain the licence of premises for the sale of food supplements by the Public Health Services of the Ministry of Health.
The term ‘food supplements’ means foodstuffs the purpose of which is to supplement the normal diet and which are concentrated sources of nutrients or other substances with a nutritional or physiological effect, alone or in combination, marketed in dose form, namely forms such as capsules, pastilles, tablets, pills and other similar forms, sachets of powder, ampoules of liquids, drop dispensing bottles, and other similar forms of liquids and powders designed to be taken in measured small unit quantities.
Every natural person or legal entity is eligible to operate a food supplements´ shop, provided that the Public Health Services is satisfied that the shop, for which the application is submitted for, fulfils the following criteria:
- is a permanent construction which has been established according to the relevant town planning permit and construction licence as per the Street Regulations and Constructions Law;
- the floor, walls and roof of the shop can be easily and efficiently cleaned;
- has well operating air conditioning system in order to ensure a cool and dry atmosphere;
- is equipped with shelves and cupboards for the proper placement of the Food Supplements;
- has all the necessary hygiene amenities in order to be used by the staff;
- is managed by a responsible person specialized in the field of Food Science or Health Nutrition.
Moreover, the person responsible for managing the food supplements store should hold the following qualifications, according to the relevant law: Dietician or Food Scientist or registered Doctor or registered Pharmacist or any other person who satisfies the Director of Health Services that is properly qualified on issues related to food supplements and/or health nutrition, either by oral interview or written exams.
The application for licence of premises for the sale of food supplements can be submitted either through the PSC Cyprus or you can contact directly the competent authority:
Public Health Services
Ministry of Health
1 Prodromou str.
Tel: +357 2260575, 22605554
Fax: +357 22605482
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
The application should be accompanied by the following documents:
- copy of the Certificate of Incorporation and Certificate of Directors and Secretary issued by the Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver (in case of a legal entity);
- certified copies of the documents supporting the qualifications of the person selling food supplements; that is, a degree in Dietetics, Food Science or Pharmacy.
On site inspections are carried out, by authorized health inspectors to ensure that all the prerequisites, mentioned under “eligibility criteria” section, are met.
Obligations and Supervision
Any person who operates a Food Supplement shop is required to comply with the provisions he provisions of the Food (control and sale) laws of 1996 and the Food Supplements Regulations of 2004, as periodically amended.
It should be noted that any display of claims to the food supplement’s label or advertisement that implies directly or indirectly the prevention, treatment or therapy of a human disease is prohibited.