In order to practise as a commercial agent in the Republic of Cyprus, one needs to be registered as one by the Council of Commercial Agents and obtain an annual licence for practising the profession.
The term "Commercial Agent" refers to natural or legal persons who, under the capacity of independent mediator, are authorised on a permanent basis either to negotiate, on behalf of another person, the sale or purchase of goods or to negotiate and conclude such transactions on behalf of the represented person.
Every natural or legal person can be registered as a Commercial Agent, provided that the Council of Commercial Agents is satisfied that the applicant:
- is a holder of a school leaving certificate of a recognized secondary school or of an equivalent qualification; and
- has not been convicted in the past 10 years immediately preceding the application for an offence involving dishonesty or for an offense against morality or the Exchange Control or Customs and Excise Laws for the time being in force and has not been declared bankrupt; or
- is a limited company duly registered in the Republic, or an EU member state of which at all times its directors or one of them or the secretary are eligible to hold a practicing licence; or
- is a partnership duly registered in the Republic, an EU member state of which at all times at least one of its unlimited partners is a commercial agent holding a practicing licence.
The application for enrolment in the Commercial Agents Register and the application for the issuance of a licence to practise the profession of Commercial Agent can be submitted either through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
The Council of Commercial Agents
P. O. Box 23875, 1687 Nicosia
Tel.: +357 22664151, +357 22889759
Fax: +357 22667593, + 357 22420420
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
The application for enrolment in the Commercial Agents Register has to be accompanied by the following documents:
- copy of a recent Clear Criminal Record Certificate from the appropriate authorities;
- copy of non bankrupt certificate by the Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver or the appropriate authority of a member state;
- copy of a school leaving certificate of a recognized secondary school or of an equivalent qualification;
- the following fees need to be paid (either by cheque or cash) together with the application:
- €20.00 application fee;
- €75.00 registration fee;
- €60.00 annual licence fee.
The applicant is informed regarding the authorisation decision normally within thirty days from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submitted.
The annual licence for practicing the profession is valid until 31st of December of each year and should be renewed by the first day of March of the following year. If registration is refused or renewal of an annual licence is refused 50% of the fees paid are returned.
Obligations and Supervision
Registered Commercial Agents are obliged to comply with the provisions of the Commercial Agents Law, and relevant regulations, as periodically amended.
The Council of Commercial Agents is the delegated body to supervise registered Commercial Agents, exercise disciplinary control and impose disciplinary penalties, such as the deletion of a registered commercial agent from the registry or the suspension of the licence to practise the profession.
Cyprus Commercial Representatives Association
Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry
38, Grivas Dhigenis Ave. & 3, Deligiorgis Str.,
Tel: +357 22889800
Fax: +357 22667593
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com