In order to operate a pharmacy in the Republic of Cyprus, one needs to register the pharmacy with the Pharmacy Board, which operates in accordance with the Pharmacy and Poisons Law (Cap. 254), Article 3.
Every natural or legal person is eligible to register the pharmacy, provided that the Pharmacy Board is satisfied that the following criteria are met:
- the applicant is a registered pharmacist in the Republic of Cyprus (in case of natural person) or;
- the company is under the management and control of a registered pharmacist who owns at least 51% of the company΄s shares (in the case of a legal entity);
- The pharmacy must be housed in an independent shop which complies with the provisions of the Streets and Buildings Law and not connected with an internal door or by any manner or means, or have optical contact with adjoining store or business or other premises which is not a pharmacy pursuant to the Standards, Establishment and Operation pharmacy Regulations, Regulatory Administrative Acts 281/2000.
The Application for a New Pharmacy from a Pharmacist (In case of natural person) or the Application for a New Pharmacy as a Company (in case of legal entity) can be submitted either electronically through the PSC Cyprus (electronically for a legal entity (company) or electronically for a natural person (pharmacist)) or by contacting directly the competent authority:
1475 Nicosia, Cyprus
Tel.: +357 22 608 637 / +357 22 608 608
Fax : +357 22 608 793
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- copy of Declaration of a Pharmacist Owner (in case of natural person) or the Pharmacist who owns at least 51% of the company΄s shares (in the case of a legal entity);
- copy of Certificate of Registration of the Pharmacist;
- copy of Rental Agreement (stamped) or Immovable Property Registration Certificate;
- copy of Architectural Plan (overview), for which the building licence was issued;
- copy of Building Licence;
- copy of Memorandum and Articles of Association (certified by the Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver);
- copy of Certificate of Incorporation (in case of legal entity);
- copy of Certificate of Shareholders (in case of legal entity);
- copy of Directors and Secretary certificate (in case of legal entity).
Three (3) on-site inspections are carried out in order to ensure the appropriateness of the pharmacy and the relevant equipment for the correct functioning of the pharmacy.
In case the submission is done electronically, the applicant will have to bring the original application with the relevant documents during the first inspection.
The Registration is valid infinitely and does not need to be renewed unless changes in the ownership have been made.
Obligations & Supervision
Registered Pharmacies are obliged to comply with the provisions of the relevant Law and Regulations, as periodically as periodically amended.