PSC Cyprus: Operating an Animal Feed Establishment
In order to operate an animal feed establishment in the Republic of Cyprus one needs to obtain a registration or approval certificate (depending on the activities with which the establishment is engaged in) by the Department of Agriculture of the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment.
Specifically, an approval certificate needs to be obtained in the case that establishments carry out one of the following activities, whereas in all other cases of animal feed establishments a registration certificate is to be obtained:
- manufacturing and/or placing on the market of feed additives covered by Regulation (EC) No 1831/2003 and referred to in Chapter 1 of Annex IV of Regulation (EC) no 183/2005;
- manufacturing and/or placing on the market of premixtures prepared using feed additives referred to in Chapter 2 of Annex IV of Regulation (EC) no 183/2005;
- manufacturing for placing on the market, or producing for the exclusive requirements of their holdings, compound feedingstuffs using feed additives or premixtures containing feed additives and referred to in Chapter 3 of Annex IV of Regulation (EC) no 183/2005.
The term “animal feed” refers to any substance or product, including additives, whether processed, partially processed or unprocessed, intended to be used for animal feeding. Moreover, the term “establishment” refers to any production or packaging unit of animal feed intended to be placed on the market.
Every natural or legal person is eligible to obtain the Registration or Approval Certificate of Establishment provided that the Department of Agriculture is satisfied that natural or legal person possess or has under its responsibility appropriate building premises permanently established in the Republic of Cyprus, appropriate equipment, human resources adequately equipped with the relevant experience and knowledge, quality control system, packaging and storage conditions etc in accordance with the HACCP principles as well as with the rest of the provisions of the Regulation (EC) no 183/2005 laying down requirements for feed hygiene (see related documents).
The registration/renewal application for registration of establishment or the approval/renewal application for approval of establishment can be submitted either through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
Agrochemicals and Feedingstuffs Sector
Department of Agriculture
Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment
Tel.: +357 22408633, +357 22408638
Fax: + 357 22408538
The application form should be accompanied by the following documents:
- copy of Certificate of Incorporation, certificate by the directors and shareholders, (in case of a legal person), certificate of registration of the trade mark (if applicable);
- copy of registration certificate of a factory, regarding the establishment, issued by the Department of Labor Inspection in accordance with the provisions of the Factοries Law (see "Registration of a factory" in Related Links);
- copy of organizational structure and human resource’s qualifications including the number, qualifications and technical knowledge of the personnel as well as the name and qualifications of the person responsible for the production of the materials;
- copy of full details of the location, design, construction, operation and maintenance of buildings and technical equipment of the premises, as well as the storage conditions for the materials;
- copy of the quality control programme of the materials at the critical stages of the production process;
- copy of cooperation agreement with chemical laboratory including the name, address and telephone number of the laboratory (in case the establishment does not own a laboratory);
- copy of topographic plans, architectural plans;
- copy of receipt of the payment of the fee of €51, 26 (payable either by cash or cheque).
On site inspections by authorized inspectors are carried out in order to ensure that all the prerequisites, mentioned under “eligibility criteria” section, are met.
The applicant is informed regarding the authorisation decision within 3 months from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submitted. The Registration Certificate is valid for 5 years, while the Approval Certificate is valid for 3 years from the date of issue. The renewal fee is €51, 26 (payable either by cash or cheque).
Obligations and Supervision
Registered and Approved Animal Feed Operators are obliged to ensure that the provisions of the Regulation (EC) no 183/2005 laying down requirements for feed hygiene as well as the principles of Hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP) system are met (see Regulation (EC) no 183/2005 in related documents).
Indicatively they should:
- identify any hazards that must be prevented, eliminated or reduced to acceptable levels;
- identify the critical control points at the step or steps at which control is essential to prevent or eliminate a hazard or reduce it to acceptable levels;
- establish critical limits at critical control points which separate acceptability from unacceptability, for the prevention, elimination or reduction of identified hazards;
- establish and implement effective monitoring procedures at critical control points;
- establish corrective action when monitoring indicates that a critical control point is not under control;
- establish procedures to verify that that the above mentioned measures are complete and working effectively. Verification procedures shall be carried out regularly;
- establish documents and records commensurate with the nature and size of the feed businesses to demonstrate the effective application of the above mentioned measures.
© 2009 - 2019 Republic of Cyprus,
Ministry of Energy, Commerce and Industry, Point of Single Contact