In order to operate an Adult Day-Care Centre in the Republic of Cyprus, natural or legal persons need to register the Adult-Day Care Centre at the Social Welfare Services of the Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance.
The term "Adult Day Care Centre" refers to any premises within which care, protection, occupation, entertainment, dining and other services are provided to more than five individuals over the age of eighteen years old, at any time during the day.
Every natural or legal person is eligible to register a Adult Day-Care Centre, provided that the Social Welfare Services is satisfied that the following criteria are met:
- the person in charge of the Centre possess the appropriate qualifications as may be specified by the Director;
- sufficient and qualified staff is to be employed in order to ensure the best possible care;
- the suitability of the premises with the appropriate health conditions, location, fire safety, construction, layout, maintenance, general conditions, and equipment;
- the suitability of services and facilitations to be offered at the Centre.
The Application form for the Registration of an Adult Day-Care Centre can be submitted either electronically through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
Social Welfare Services
Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance
Tel.: +357 22406712
Fax: +357 22667907
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
The application form should be accopmanied by the following documents:
- copy of Manager’s qualification certificates;
- copy of staff members’ qualification certificates;
- copy of identitiy card for each staff member;
- copy of the architectural plans and the exact dimensions of the building;
- copy of the Building Permit or Town Planning Permit;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Cyprus Fire Service;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Public Works Department;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Public Health Services;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Department of Electrical and Mechanical Services;
- original Health Certificates for each staff member;
- original Certificates of Clear Criminal Record for each staff member.
On site inspection of the Adult Day Care Centre's premises is carried out by authorised persons of the Director of Social Welfare Services in order to ensure that all the prerequisites are met.
The applicant is informed regarding the authorisation decision within four months from the date that the application form and supporting documents have been dully submitted. The authorisation shall not be deemed to have been granted if the Social Welfare Services has not replied within the period specified.
The Certificate of Registration of an Adult Day-Care Centre is valid infinitively, subject to the annual renewal of the Certificate of Eligibility by the Department of Fire Safety, the Public Health Services, and the Department of Electrical and Mechanical Services, the Health Certificates and the Certificates of Clear Criminal Record for each staff member. Please note that the Certificate of Eligibility from the Public Works Department must be renewed every five years.
Obligations and Supervision
Registered Adult Day-Care Centres are obliged to comply with the provisions of the Adult Day Care Centre Law, and relevant Regulations, as periodically amended, and specifically, among others, to ensure that the requirements regarding the following are met:
Inspections by District Social Welfare Officers are carried out regularly in order to verify that the Adult Day-Care Centres meet the provisions of the relevant Law and Regulations.
- staff Members’ Qualifications;
- premises and equipment;