In order to operate a packing house for agricultural products in the Republic of Cyprus one needs to obtain a Packing House Licence for Agricultural Products by the Department of Agriculture of the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment.
The term “packing house” covers any premises within which sorting, classification, handling, packaging, labeling and storage of agricultural products (mainly fresh fruits and vegetables) are carried out.
The Department of Agriculture issues the packing house licence for agricultural products provided that the Department is satisfied that the packing house is equipped with the suitable areas and machinery/equipment, individually, as:
- appropriate area for the quartering of cars that transports the products in the packing house for aims of unloading and loading of products;
- separate area where the products will be placed up to the sorting and their packing, for (in what concerns) products which do not need cooling facilities;
- pre cooling facilities for the placement of products that needs to be placed in pre cooling facilities;
- benches of sorting and packing;
- suitable area for storing packed products;
- pre cooling facilities for the placement of packed products, where this is applied;
- appropriate area for the loading of packed products in cars or cars converted into refrigerators (refrigerator cars), depending on the case;
- suitable equipment for the processing of all the above and depending on the type of agricultural product for which a license is applied for operating a packing house (weighting machines, fork lift, machines for sorting inspection etc.).
The licence application or licence renewal for operation of packing house can be submitted either electronically through the PSC Cyprus or you can contact directly the competent authority:
Plant Health and Marketing Standards of Agricultural ProductsSector,
Department of Agriculture
Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment
1412 Nicosia, Cyprus
Tel.: +357 22408630, +357408626
Fax: + 357 22408679
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
On-site inspections are carried out in order to ensure that all the prerequisites, mentioned under “eligibility criteria” section are met.
The applicant is informed regarding the authorisation decision within 3 months from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submitted. Upon approval, the applicant needs to pay to the Plant Health and Marketing Standards of Agricultural Products Sector of the Department of Agriculture or Larnaca Port Entry Point or Limassol Port Entry Point or Pafos District office, the relevant fee:
- each issuing of yearly licence fee for operating a packing house for fresh vegetables products is €40,00;
- each issuing of yearly licence fee for operating a packing house for fresh fruits is €40,00;
- each issuing of yearly licence fee for operating a packing house for herbs is €40,00;
- each issuing of yearly licence fee for operating a packing house for potatoes is €50,00;
The minimum payable fee for a period of less than one year is € 40,00.
The licence is valid for one year from the date of issue and can be renewed on a yearly basis. The renewal fee is the same as the licence fees mentioned above and should be paid prior the end of November each year.
Obligations and Supervision
The natural person or legal person to whom the licence of packing house for agricultural products has been issued is responsible for the accuracy of data and information submitted to the competent authority and is obliged to comply with the provisions of the quality control of agricultural laws of 2002-2007 and the relevant regulations that are published based on the above mentioned law.
Moreover, the inspection officers of the Department of Agriculture carry out checks on a regular basis in order to supervise the classification, treatment, sorting and packaging of agricultural products.