In order to practise as a Carer in a small residential unit in the Repbulic of Cyprus, natural or legal persons need to register at the Social Welfare Services of the Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance.
The term "Carer" refers to any person who undertakes to take care, in a small residential unit, up to five individuals (including family members), over the age of eighteen years old, who due to a disability or advanced age or any other reasons or circumstances are in need of care and treatment.
Every natural or legal person is eligible to register as a Carer, provided that Social Welfare Services is satisfied that he/she is suitable for this purpose and the premises and equipment to be used are suitable.
The Application form for the Registration of a Carer (small residential unit) can be submitted either electronically through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
Social Welfare Services
Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance
2063 Strovolos, Nicosia
Tel.: +357 22406712
Fax: +357 22667907
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
The application form should be accopmanied by the following documents:
- copy of a Carer’s (The manager’s) qualification certificates;
- copy of staff members’ qualification certificates;
- copy of Identity card for the Carer and each staff member;
- copy of the Building Permit or Town Planning Permit;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Cyprus Fire Service;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Public Works Department;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Public Health Services;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Department of Electrical and Mechanical Services;
- original Health Certificates of Carer and Carer’s family members;
- original Certificates of Clear Criminal Record of Carer and for each staff member;
On site inspection of the small residential unit's premises is carried out by authorised persons of the Director of Social Welfare Services in order to ensure that all the prerequisites are met.
The applicant is informed regarding the authorisation decision within four months from the date that the application form and supporting documents have been dully submitted. The authorisation shall not be deemed to have been granted if the Social Welfare Services has not replied within the period specified.
The Certificate of Registration of a Carer is valid infinitively, subject to the annual renewal of the Certificate of Eligibility by the Department of Fire Safety, the Public Health Services, and the Department of Electrical and Mechanical Services, the Health Certificates and the Certificates of Clear Criminal Record mentioned above.
Obligations and Supervision
Registered Carers are obliged to comply with the provisions of the Homes for the Elderly and Disabled Persons Law, and relevant Regulations, as periodically amended, and specifically, among others, to ensure that the requirements regarding the following are met:
- carer’s qualifications;
- premises and equipment;
- the Certificate of Registration is posted in a conspicuous place of the establishment.
Inspections by District Social Welfare Officers are carried out regularly in order to verify that the Carers meet the provisions of the relevant Law and Regulations.