In order to establish a body, institute or centre where animals are kept or bred for their display and/or conservation of the species and/or scientific research in the Republic of Cyprus, one needs to obtain an approval by the Veterinary Services of the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment.
The Veterinary Services grant an approval provided that:
- the personnel employed for the handling of animals possess a licence as a professional animal carer;
- the zoo must employ adequate in number personnel which is skilled on the conservation of wild animals;
- the establishment must employ sufficient number of staff who possess the appropriate ability and knowledge
- the protection and safety of both the animals and the visitors is ensured;
- the premises are supervised by a registered veterinarian.
The application for the approval of a body, institute or centre where animals are kept or bred for their display and/or conservation of the species and/or scientific research can be submitted either electronically through the PSC Cyprus or you can contact directly the competent authority. Please note that the submission of the aforementioned online application form necessitates the use of an electronic signature, which has to be under the sole control of the applicant.
Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment
Tel: +357 22805249
Fax: +357 22805176
The application should be accompanied by the following documents:
- copy of a detailed topographic plan for the premises;
- certified copy of a contract or other legal document indicating the provision of services of a registered veterinarian to the body, institute or centre;
- copy of a list containing employee names and their qualifications;
- copy of a licence as a professional animal carer or trainer, which is required for the personnel employed for the handling of animals;
- certified copy of contract of cooperation with an approved veterinary laboratory to perform post-mortem examinations (where applicable);
- original declaration of the owner regarding to the procedure to be followed for the appropriate disposal of animal bodies.
After the submission of the application an inspection of the premises is carried out by the responsible Veterinary Officer of the Animal Health and Welfare Division and the responsible Veterinary Officer of the relevant District Veterinary Office.
The applicant is informed regarding the authorisation decision within three months from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submitted.
The registration is valid infinitely.
Obligations and Supervision
The body, institute or centre are obliged to comply with the provisions of the Animal Health Law and Regulations, as periodically amended, and specifically, among others, to:
- keep up to date records of the animals kept in the premises;
- receive animals originating only from other approved bodies, institutes or centres;
- comply with the provisions of the Animal Health (Requirements governing the trade in certain animals) (Special) Ordinance, the Animal Health Law and the Protection and Welfare of Animals Law.