In order to be able to transport animals in the Republic of Cyprus one needs to obtain an authorisation from the Veterinary Services of the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment.
The Veterinary Services grant the authorisation to transporters provided that:
- the applicants are established, or in case of applicants established in a third country, are represented in the Member State where they apply for authorisation;
- the applicants have demonstrated that they have sufficient and appropriate staff, equipment and operational procedures at their disposal to enable them to comply with the legislation;
- the applicants or their representatives have no record of serious infringements of Community legislation and/or national legislation on the protection of animals in the three years preceding the date of application. This does not apply where the applicant demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Veterinary Services that all necessary measures to avoid further infringements have been taken;
- all drivers and attendants possess valid certificates of competence;
- valid certificates of approval are available for all means of transport by road to be used for long journeys.
The application (application type 1 and application type 2) for authorisation for transporting animals, in the form of a letter addressed to the Director of Veterinary Services, can be submitted either electronically through the PSC Cyprus ( type 1 or type 2 )or you can contact directly the competent authority. Please note that the submission of the aforementioned online application form necessitates the use of an electronic signature, which has to be under the sole control of the applicant.
Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment
Tel: +357 22805249
Fax: +357 22805176
The application should be accompanied by the following documents:
- certified copy of a document proving the applicant’s establishment in the Republic of Cyprus;
- certified copy of criminal record of the applicants or their representatives;
- certified copies of valid certificates of competence for all drivers and attendants;
- certified copies of valid certificates of approval for all means of transport by road to be used for long journeys;
- original document describing details of the procedures enabling transporters to trace and record the movements of road vehicles under their responsibility and to contact the drivers concerned at any time during long journeys;
- copy of contingency plans in the event of emergencies.
Certificates of approval for the means of transport by road to be used for long journeys are issued by the Veterinary Services after the submission of an application to the Veterinary Services followed by an inspection of the means of transport carried out by the responsible Veterinary Officer of the relevant District Veterinary Office.
The applicant is informed regarding the registration decision within 3 months from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submitted.
The authorisation has a maximum validity period of five years.
Obligations and Supervision