In order produce, export and/or import, store plants and plant products in the Republic of Cyprus, one needs to register in the Official Plant Registry according to National Legislation and the EU Directives 2000/29EC, 92/90/EEC and 93/50/EEC, by the Plant Health and Marketing Standards of Agricultural Products Sector, Department of Agriculture of the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment.
The term "plants" applies for fruits, vegetables, tubers, corms, bulbs, rhizomes, cut flowers, branches with foliage, cut trees retaining foliage, leaves, foliage, plant tissue cultures, live pollen, bud-wood, cuttings, scions, any other part of plants which may be specified in accordance with the procedure referred to in Article 18(2) of the EU Directive 2000/29/EC. In parallel, the term "plant products" refers to products of plant origin, unprocessed or having undergone simple preparation.
The "Application for Registration to the Official Registry" can be submitted either through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
Plant Health and Marketing Standards of Agricultural Products Sector
Department of Agriculture
Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment
Tel.: +357 22408626/628/629
Fax: +357 22408679
The application should be accompanied by a copy of company registration certificate.
On site inspections are carried out by authorized officers in order to ensure that all the prerequisites, mentioned under “eligibility criteria” section, are met.
The applicant is informed regarding the registration decision within three months from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submitted; given that the above mentioned criteria are fulfilled and no changes are recommended.
Obligations and Supervision
Registered producers/exporters/ importers of plants and plant products are obliged to comply with the provisions of Protective Measures Against the Introduction of Organisms Harmful to Plants and Plant Products and Against their Spread (Introduction into and Movement within the Republic of Cyprus or Certain Protected Zones thereof for Trial, Scientific Purposes and for Work of Varietal Selections) Regulations of 2003 and 2005, and the Directives 93/50/EC and 92/105/EC, as periodically amended, and specifically among others to:
- maintain an updated plan of the premises on which plants, plant products or other objects are grown, produces, stored, kept or used by the producer or collective warehouses or dispatching centre;
- keep records of plants and plant products purchased for storage or planting on the premises, under production, or dispatched to others, and to keep related documents for at least one year;
- be available personally or to designate another person technically experienced in plant production and related plant health matters and to liaise with the competent authority;
- carry out visual observations as necessary and at appropriate times, and in a manner laid down in guideline instructions given by the competent authority;
- ensure access for persons entitled to act for the competent authority, in particular for inspection and/or sampling, and to relevant records or other related documents and to otherwise cooperate with the competent authority;
- notify the presence of any harmful organisms;
- inform the competent authority on any changes regarding the application data;
- Inform the Authority in the case of termination of services.
Additionally, the Director of the Department of Agriculture has the right to examine, after a report by authorized agriculture officers, if someone contravenes or fails to comply with the provisions of the relevant law and set out penalties according to the nature of the offence committed.
In case non-conformities are observed, during the above mentioned inspections, the competent authority notifies the service provider and a deadline of fifteen days is given to him/her in order to state his/her views in writing about the issue. Any decision of the competent authority for the cancellation of the approval of the license is made after the applicant’s submission of his/her views.