In order to operate a Day-Care Centre for School-Age Children in the Republic of Cyprus, natural or legal persons need to obtain a Registration Certificate by the Director of Social Welfare Services of the Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance.
The term "Day-Care Centre for School-Age Children" refers to any premises within which care, protection and education is provided to more than two children, of up to eighteen years old, at any time during the day.
Every natural or legal person is eligible to register a Day-Care Centre for School-Age Children, provided that the Social Welfare Services is satisfied that the following criteria are met:
- the person in charge of the Centre possess the appropriate qualifications as may be specified by the Director;
- sufficient and qualified staff is to be employed in order to ensure the best possible care of children;
- the suitability of the premises with the appropriate health conditions, location, fire safety, construction, layout, maintenance, general conditions, and equipment;
- the suitability of services and facilitations to be offered at the Centre.
The Application form for the Registration of a Day-Care Centre for School-Age Children, can be submitted either electronically through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
Social Welfare Services
Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance
Tel.: +357 22406712
Fax: +357 22667907
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
The application form should be accopmanied by the following documents:
- copy of Manager’s qualification certificates;
- copy of staff members’ qualification certificates;
- copy of identitiy card for each staff member;
- copy of the architectural plans and the exact dimensions of the building;
- copy of the Building Permit or Town Planning Permit;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Cyprus Fire Service;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Public Works Department;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Public Health Services;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Department of Electrical and Mechanical Services;
- original Health Certificates for each staff member;
- original Certificates of Clear Criminal Record for each staff member.
On site inspection of the Day Care Centre's premises is carried out by authorised persons of the Director of Social Welfare Services in order to ensure that all the prerequisites are met.
The applicant is informed regarding the authorisation decision within four months from the date that the application form and supporting documents have been dully submitted. The authorisation shall not be deemed to have been granted if the Social Welfare Services has not replied within the period specified.
The Certificate of Registration of a Day-Care Centre for School-Age Children is valid infinitively, subject to the annual renewal of the Certificate of Eligibility by the Department of Fire Safety, the Public Health Services, and the Department of Electrical and Mechanical Services, the Health Certificates and the Certificates of Clear Criminal Record for each staff member. Please note that the Certificate of Eligibility from the Public Works Department should be renewed only when necessary.
Obligations and Supervision