PSC Cyprus: Operating Day Care Centres of Pre-School Children
In order to operate a Day-Care Centre for Pre-School Children in the Republic of Cyprus, natural or legal persons need to obtain a Registration Certificate by the Director of Social Welfare Services of the Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance.
Any person wishing to take care of children should apply to the Director of Social Welfare Services for registration, thereupon and on receipt of such an application, the Director, subject to the provisions of Children Law 1956 (chapter 352, section 28) registers the premises, where children are received to be looked after for the day or a substantial part of the day or for any longer period not exceeding six days.
Every natural or legal person is eligible to register a Day-Care Centre for Pre-School Children, provided that the Social Welfare Services is satisfied that the following criteria are met:
- the person in charge of the Centre possess the appropriate qualifications as may be specified by the Director;
- sufficient and qualified staff is to be employed in order to ensure the best possible care of children; Specifically, during the hours of operation a child day-carer must be employed for every: 28 children, aged 4 years or older; 24 children, aged 3 years or older; 16 children, aged 2 years or older; 6 infants, up to 2 years old.
- the suitability of the premises with the appropriate health conditions, location, fire safety, construction, layout, maintenance, general conditions, and equipment;
- the suitability of services and facilitations to be offered at the Centre.
The Application form for the Registration of a Day-Care Centre for Pre-School Children can be submitted either electronically through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
Social Welfare Services
Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance
Tel.: +357 22406712
Fax: +357 22667907
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
The application form should be accopmanied by the following documents:
- copy of Manager’s qualification certificates;
- copy of staff members’ qualification certificates;
- copy of identitiy card for each staff member;
- copy of the architectural plans and the exact dimensions of the building;
- copy of the Building Permit or Town Planning Permit;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Cyprus Fire Service;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Public Works Department;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Public Health Services;
- copy of Certificate of Eligibility by the Department of Electrical and Mechanical Services;
- original Health Certificates for each staff member;
- original Certificates of Clear Criminal Record for each staff member.
On site inspection of the Day Care Centre's premises is carried out by authorised persons of the Director of Social Welfare Services in order to ensure that all the prerequisites are met.
The applicant is informed regarding the authorisation decision within four months from the date that the application form and supporting documents have been dully submitted. The authorisation shall not be deemed to have been granted if the Social Welfare Services has not replied within the period specified.
The Certificate of Registration of a Day-Care Centre for Pre-School Children is valid infinitively, subject to the annual renewal of the Certificate of Eligibility by the Department of Fire Safety, the Public Health Services, and the Department of Electrical and Mechanical Services, the Health Certificates and the Certificates of Clear Criminal Record for each staff member. Please note that the Certificate of Eligibility from the Public Works Department should be renewed only when necessary.
Obligations and Supervision
Registered Day-Care Centres for Pre-School Children are obliged to comply with the provisions of the Children's Law, and relevant Regulations, as periodically amended, and specifically, among others, to ensure that the requirements regarding the following are met:
- staff Members’ Qualifications;
- premises and equipment;
- records that need to be kept;
- child – staff ratio;
- child – space ratio;
- arrangements for feeding the children;
- medical supervision for children.
Any person authorized by the Director of the Social Welfare Services may at all reasonable times enter any premises which are used for childcare and may inspect the premises, the children looked after, their welfare arrangements as well as any records relating to them.
Cyprus Association of Private Pre-School Education
2 Akropoleos Avenue & Glafkou Str.
PO Box: 21657, 1511 Nicosia
Tel.: + 357 22436466, +357 22665102
Fax: +357 22349193, + 357 22669459
Website: http: www.oeb.org.cy
Cyprus Association of Day-Carers for Pre-School Age Children
Athineou 22, 2035 Strovolos, Nicosia
Tel.: + 357 22492626
Fax: +357 22517165
© 2009 - 2019 Republic of Cyprus,
Ministry of Energy, Commerce and Industry, Point of Single Contact