In order to practise as a Child-minder in the Republic of Cyprus, one needs to register as a chlid minder at the Social Welfare Services of the Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance.
Any person receiving or intenting to receive children should apply to the Director of Social Welfare Services for registration and on receipt of such an application the Director, subject to the provisions of Children Law 1956 (chapter 352, section 28), and Children (Amendment) Law 2014 Ν.181(Ι)/2014 registers all persons who: for reward receive into their homes children under the age of six to be looked after as aforesaid.
Every natural person is eligible to register at the Child Minders Registry, provided that Social Welfare Services is satisfied that he/she meets the following criteria:
- is 18 years of age and above and does not exceed the age of retirement as defined in the Social Insurance Law, as may be amended or replaced;
- is of good health and be able to submit a health certificate for each member of his/her family;
- has knowledge and experience in child care;
- has such personal characteristics, habits and abilities to satisfy the Director of the Social Welfare Services that he/she can provide appropriate emotional, mental and social support to children;
- the ability of the applicant and all registered Child Minders is evaluated by a three-member Assessment Committee, designated by the Director, with predetermined terms of reference that include specific benchmarks on issues related to the experience, abilities and skills as to the object of the work of childminder;
- the suitability of the premises and equipment.
A child-minder may look after up to three infants (up to two years old) or six children, aged two to six years old. The child-minder’s children, of the same age range, are included in this figure.
The Application form for the Registration of a Child-Minder, can be submitted either electronically through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
Social Welfare Services
Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance
Tel. +357 22406712
Fax: +357 22667907
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
The application form should be accopmanied by the following documents:
- copy of the Child-Minder’s qualification certificates;
- copy of Identity card of the Child-Minder;
- original health Certificates of child-minder and his/her family members;
- original child-minder’s and child minder’s family members Certificates of Clear Criminal Record.
The applicant is informed regarding the authorisation decision within four months from the date that the application form and supporting documents have been dully submitted. The authorisation shall not be deemed to have been granted if the Social Welfare Services has not replied within the period specified.
The Certificate of Registration of a Child-Minder is valid infinitively, subject to the annual renewal of the Health Certificates and the Certificates of Clear Criminal Record mentioned above.
Obligations and Supervision
Registered Child-Minders are obliged to comply with the provisions of the Children's Law, and relevant Regulations, as periodically amended.
Any person authorized by the Director of the Social Welfare Services may at all reasonable times enter any premises which are used for childcare and may inspect the premises, the children looked after, their welfare arrangements as well as any records relating to them.