In order to practice as a chemist in the Republic of Cyprus, one needs to register with the Chemists' Registration Council of Cyprus, operating under the auspices of the Ministry of Health.
The term "chemist" refers to persons able to perform chemical analysis.
Every natural person is eligible to register with the Chemists' Registration Council of Cyprus, provided that the Chemists' Registration Council of Cyprus is satisfied that he/she meets the following criteria:
- is a citizen of the Republic of Cyprus or of the EU or at the time of the submission of the application, is a spouse or a child of a citizen of the Republic of Cyprus and his/her permanent residence is in Cyprus;
- is a holder of a university degree or equivalent certificate issued by a university or other equivalent faculty in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Chemistry, Clinical Chemistry, Food Technology or other Chemical Technology, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Chemistry and Technology, or other relevant scientific discipline, provided that his/her degree will be approved by the Board of Directors of the Council and published in the Official Gazette of the Republic;
- is a person of a good character.
The Application for Registration can be submitted either through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
Chemists' Registration Council of Cyprus
State General Laboratory
44 Kimonos street
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 28648, 2081 ΛΕΥΚΩΣΙΑ
Tel.: +357 22809111 , +357 99621439, +357 22 80 9122
Fax: +357 22316434
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
The application should be accompanied by the following documents:
- birth Certificate/or copy of the Identity Card/or copy of the Passport (copy);
- certified copy of the School Leaving Certificate;
- certified copy of a Degree/Certificate/Diploma in Chemistry or any other relevant science approved by the Council;
- certified copy of the transcript of the above mentioned Degree/Certificate/Diploma;
- two recent photographs (one should be attached on the application form);
- Registration fee of €40.00.
The applicant is informed regarding the authorisation decision within three months from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submitted.
The Certificate of Registration is not subject to renewal.
Obligations and Supervision
Registered chemists are obliged to comply with the provisions of the Law of Registering as a Chemist (L.157/88), as periodically ammended.
The Chemists' Registration Council of Cyprus is the delegated body to exercise disciplinary control on the registered chemists and impose disciplinary penalties, such as the deletion of a registered chemist from the registry.
Pancyprian Union of Chemists (PUC)
Address: P.O. Box 28361, 2093 Nicosia, Cyprus