In order to practise as a Medical Representative in the Republic of Cyprus, one needs to register to the Registry of Medical Representatives of the Cyprus Medical Representatives Registration Council, operating under the auspices of the Ministry of Health.
The term “Medical Representative” refers to the person that provides scientific information on behalf of pharmaceutical companies to health officers (doctors, dentists, veterinarians, pharmacists) regarding medicinal products that circulate in the market under their responsibility in order to ensure the proper usage of the medicinal products and safeguard the public health.
Every natural person is eligible to register to the Registry of Medical Representatives, provided that the Cyprus Medical Representatives Registration Council is satisfied that the following criteria are met:
- is a citizen of the Republic of Cyprus, or a spouse or child of a citizen of the Republic of Cyprus and maintains his/hers usual residence in the Republic of Cyprus, or is a citizen of another EU member state;
- is at least twenty one years old;
- has graduated from a secondary school recognised by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports and Youth;
- has not been convicted of an offence of moral turpitude;
- holds one of the following:
- a higher institute Diploma, accredited by the Cyprus Council for the Recognition of Higher Education Qualifications (KYSATS), in Medical Representatives, or Pharmaceuticals or Biology or Chemistry or other related field and has theoretical training in providing medical information for at least one month and practical experience of at least six months; or
- a tertiary education diploma in the field of medical representatives, recognised by The Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Higher Education (CYQAA) and has theoretical training in providing medical information for at least one month and practical experience of at least one year and has passed the examinations organised by the Pharmaceutical Services. It is noted that in case the educational program is of three years, the practical exercise and the examinations are not mandatory.
The application for registration can be submitted either through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
Cyprus Medical Representatives Registration Council
Ministry of Health
Chilonos 1 and Prodromou 17, 1448 Nicosia, Cyprus
Tel.: +357 22605412
Fax : +357 2222605529
The application should be accompanied by the following documents:
- copy of birth certificate;
- copy of Certificate of Secondary Education Institute;
- true copy of diploma (certified by the issuing authority) or present the original;
- original Clear Criminal Record Certificate;
- two recent photographs;
- registration fee of €17 (payable either by cash, cheque, or bank transfer).
The applicant is informed regarding the authorisation decision within three months from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submitted. Upon approval, the applicant needs to pay to the Cyprus Medical Representatives Registration Council the licence fee of €17 (payable either by cash, cheque or bank transfer).
The Registration Certificate is valid infinitely. The licence is valid until the 31st of December of the year for which it has been issued; the renewal fee is €8.
Obligations & Supervision
Registered Medical Representatives are obliged to comply with the provisions of the Law for the Registration of Medical Representatives of 2002, as periodically amended, and specifically, among others, to:
- indicate within the documents used the phrase “registered medical representative” and the registration number to the Registry of Medical Representatives;
- promote only medicinal products for which a circulation licence has been issued by the Registrar Drugs Council.
Cyprus Medical Representatives Association
P.O. Box. 22134,
1510 Nicosia, Cyprus
Tel.: +357 22490315
Fax.: + 357 22490315