In order to practise as an Optician or Technical Optician in the Republic of Cyprus, one needs to register with the Cyprus Optical Council, operating under the auspices of the Ministry of Health.
The term “optician” refers to a person engaged in optometrics, as well as processing, production, installation and supply of optical items and holds the qualifications prescribed under eligibility criteria. In parallel, the term “technical optician” refers to a person engaged in the processing, production, installation and supply of optical items.
Every natural person is eligible to register with the Cyprus Optical Council, provided that the Cyprus Optical Council is satisfied that the following criteria are met:
- is a citizen of the Republic of Cyprus or a citizen of another EU member state or a spouse or a child of a Cyprus citizen who has his/her usual residence in the Republic of Cyprus, at the time of the application’s submission;
- is at least twenty one years old;
- possess a clear criminal record certificate;
- holds a Degree in Optometry, in the case of an Optician, or has a degree in Technical Optics in case of Technical Opticians:
(i) accredited by the Member State in which it was obtained, where the profession of the Optician (in case of Opticians) or the Technical Optician (in case of Technical Opticians) is regulated and he/she is licensed to exercise his/her profession;
(ii) accredited by the Cyprus Council for the Recognition of Higher Education Qualifications (KYSATS), in case where the title was obtained in a third country or in a Member State where the profession of the Optician (in case of Opticians) or Technical Optician (in case of Technical Opticians) is not regulated;
- has at least one year of working experience gained after the obtainment of the above mentioned qualifications;
- the above mentioned academic and working experience do not apply to those who, before the 31st of December 1996, had registered or had obtained a position or studied at Higher Education Institute for a title, degree or a diploma of at least 3 years of studies in Optics or technical Optics, provided that before the 31 of December 1996 they had graduated from at least six years of a secondary education school.
Irrespective of the above, every natural person is eligible to register with the Cyprus Optical Council, provided that the Cyprus Optical Council is satisfied that the following criteria are met:
- is a European citizen;
- possesses professional title, licensed, by the competent authority of the member state of establishment;
- possess a clear criminal record certificate.
The Optician Registration Application or Technical Optician Registration Application can be submitted either through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
Cyprus Optical Council
1 Prodromou & 17 Chilonos
The application should be accompanied by the following documents:
- clear criminal record Certificate;
- certified Copy of a Degree in Optometric or Technical Optics accredited by the Cyprus Council for the Recognition of Higher Education Qualifications or by Cyprus Optical Council;
- copy of the Certificate of registration to the competent authority of an EU member state and relevant declaration that the optician continues to practise his/hers profession and that the license has not been suspended or revoked (in case of EU citizen with a professional title in an EU member state);
- application fee €34,17 (payable either by cash, cheque or bank transfer).
The applicant is informed regarding the authorization decision within three months from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submitted.
The Registration Certificate is valid for one year from the date of issue. The renewal fee is €34,17 (payable either by cash, cheque or bank transfer).
An Οptician or Dispensing Optician to renew his/her license to practise has to follow at least one seminar or a workshop every two years to do so. The Cyprus optical council is responsible by law to organize these kind of seminars or workshop twice a year.
Obligations & Supervision
Registered Opticians and Technical Opticians are obliged to comply with the provisions of the Law regulating the practice of the profession of Opticians of 1992, as periodically amended.
Cyprus Optical Association
Tel.: +357 22445888
Fax : +357 22445889
Cyprus Optometrists’ Graduates Association
Tel.: +357 24657556
Fax : +357 24658646