In order to practice as a Food Scientist or/and Food Technologist in the Republic of Cyprus, one needs to register with the Cyprus Registration Board for Food Scientists, Food Technologists and Dietitians, operating under the auspices of the Ministry of Health, and obtain a Certificate of Registration.
Every natural person is eligible to register with the Cyprus Registration Board for Food Scientists, Food Technologists and Dietitians, provided that the Cyprus Registration Board for Food Scientists, Food Technologists and Dietitians is satisfied that he/she fulfils the following criteria:
- is a citizen of the Republic of Cyprus or a European citizen or a spouse or a child of a Cyprus citizen who has his/her permanent residence in Cyprus, at the time of the application’s submission;
- is at least 21 years old;
- has not been convicted for a moral offence or inherent moral obscenity, which at the discretion of the Board makes him/her unfit to register as a food scientists or food technologists;
- holds a degree or other equivalent qualification in the field of food scientist or food technologist of any country, as the Council shall by notification published in the Gazette as a recognized qualification for the purposes of the 'Registration of Food Scientists and Dietitians Law' (N. 31(I)/96)
- is a professional member of the Institute of Food Technologists in the United States of America or licensed (licentiate) or associate member (associate member) or partner (fellow member) of the Institute of Food Science and Technology of Great Britain or any other similar State and recognized/ certified institute.
The Application for entry of a member in the register of Food Scientists and Food Technologists can be submitted either through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
Cyprus Registration Board for Food Scientists, Food Technologists and Dietitians
Website: http://www.moh.gov.cy, http://www.cydadiet.org
The application should be accompanied by the following documents:
- copy of Birth Certificate or copy of Identity Card or copy of Passport;
- certified copy of a relevant Degree/Diploma/Certificate;
- certified copy of the transcript of the above mentioned Degree/Diploma/Certificate;
- certified copy of a membership registration to professional body recognized by the Association;
- certified documentation for practical experience as a Food Scientist or/and Food Technologist (self-employed or employee);
- original Certificate of Clear Criminal Record;
- €50 registration fee.
The applicant is informed regarding the authorisation decision within three months from the date from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submitted and a Registration Certificate is sent only with approval.
The Certificate of Registration is valid for one year from the date of issue. The renewal fee is €35.
Obligations and Supervision